Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Penny Press

I’ve always been a fan of the penny press. The penny is one of my favorite coins and I love that you can get a souvenir for just 50c. I prefer to use all copper pennies, since the post-1982 variety tends to have too many variations and the end result causes too much of the zinc middle to show through.

PenguinsPressedPenniesWhen I attended a Penguins hockey game last month, courtesy of a friend of mine, I spotted the press while waiting for him to come out of the gift shop. Of course I didn’t have any pennies with me at the time. When my coin buddy Suzy heard about it, she knew she just had to go and get a whole mess of them.

We scheduled a ‘date’ and met to find the press had a handy change machine where you could only get quarters. Suzy had to find pennies in the gift shop across the hall from the press.

There are four designs and I pressed three of each. After cleaning them off a little, I put them in my Penny Passport book. I’ll probably be getting several dozen more in the near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment