Thursday, March 1, 2012

Copper mining

For the first copper mining project in 2012, I obtained another $25 box of pennies. All 2500 were sorted, separated, catalogued and the ones I didn’t want were wrapped back up again. Since I started this activity, I have sorted, by hand, 11,500 pennies. A small percentage, as expected, are wheaties- my favorite.

I’ve been keeping aside some nice looking copper and the shiner non-copper ones, as well as all 1982 specimens and all presentable pennies between the years 2008 and 2012. I did have a small gathering of 2007 pennies, but I haven’t been running across too many good looking examples lately, so it’s not a priority.

1907IndianHeadIn the second-to-last roll in today’s mining project, I ran across a rare find, indeed. A 1907 Indian Head. I was stunned. This is the most exciting find I’ve made in circulation change since my silver quarter hoard when I worked at Revco in 1995.

I’ll be getting another $25 box in the next week or so to keep me busy while my wife goes to visit her mom for a couple weeks. Maybe I’ll get this lucky again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment