Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Coins as Jewelry

Cha-Ching is a Pittsburgh-based business whose proprietor specializes in converting typical coins into various forms of jewelry. We found her table at the city’s central street market. The majority of pieces were earrings, bracelets and necklaces- the central focal point of each is a coin with most accompanied by beads or metal rings, etc.

While I take certain issue with the method of piercing coins with a hole in order to string a chain or rope through it, the practice is an excellent way to appreciate coins from a non-collector point of view. As long as the coin will always be used as jewelry, the value of the coin is actually quite high compared with the numismatic value of it.

When she found out that I have tons of extra coins that she might be interested in, she wrote her email address on her card and asked me to get in touch with her and suggested that if there was something that we were interested in, perhaps the value of the coins that she might want out of my collection could be put toward a purchase. Of course my better half was very excited- as there were no Dutch coins there, and I have several hundred that could easily be made into a bracelet.

Last night, I enlisted the better half to suggest which coins might make good candidates for jewelry. Most of the ones she picked had flowers or birds on them. I’m including the new US ‘shield’ pennies, of which I have several hundred. The older Singapore coins, with sea-animals are some of my favorite and I have a hard time parting with them, but at least I have several more in my collection.

The owner of Cha-Ching, Suzy, is meeting us tonight to evaluate our picks. Hopefully, out of the three pounds of coins, there is enough to equal the price of a nice bracelet made of Dutch coins, plus some left over.

Her business website is something that can’t be missed: http://www.chachingcoinjewelry.com

No comments:

Post a Comment