Friday, March 4, 2011

Caveat emptor

A recent winning bid on eBay was from a seller who claimed to have bought an 85-pound bin of estate coins and then split it into 5-pound bags. My bid was for one of the 5-pound bags, but imagine my disappointment when I got the package and found nothing but corroded, badly damaged bits of metal. Based on the smell and the pattern of destruction wrought on these coins, I can only guess that they had been in a fire and sustained direct contact with large quantities of water or other fire suppression material.

The reason that I went so high in my bidding in the first place, was because usually coin lots with a story like this one have some really good finds in them. Also, the description hinted at a good possibility of some silver pieces.

The real disappointment is the fact that the coins that were in the haul were really good ones. Luckily, the seller agreed to give me a refund (including shipping), so I’m sending the haul back- silver pieces and all- with my best wishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment