Thursday, January 13, 2011

So many pennies

At long last, I made it to the bank and obtained $20 in pennies. That’s 2000. Naturally, there wasn’t a seat on the bus I took home, so I had to stand with the pennies weighing down me and my backpack. My journey home was made extra long, when our bus happened upon an accident at a crucial intersection, which caused a long detour. Finally, I made it home.

Soon enough I was at my desk, sorting roll after roll. Of course, my goal was to find copper pennies, but I wouldn’t have objected to keeping bi-centennial 2009 pennies or steel pennies, though I knew finding either was a long shot.

After looking at all 2000 dates, I found 4 wheaties, 8 Canadian, 9 bicentennials, 50 shiny new 2010s and a grand total of 713 pennies dated 1959-1982. I imagine it will be quite easy to determine which 1982 examples are zinc and which are copper- the newer zinc coins weighed less than the copper.

155 pennies composed of 95% copper make up a full pound of copper. At current market value (as of 13 Jan 2011) the price for a pound of copper is $4.41, which is a 285% rise over the value of the metal that 155 copper pennies are composed of. My plan is to divide the pennies into 1 pound sacks and put them on eBay. Perhaps I’ll start the price at $2.

Since it took less than 3 hours to sort through all 2000 pennies, it would be no trouble to go through even 5000, if the pound sacks start selling.

No comments:

Post a Comment